Sunday, January 21, 2018

Best Cafes and Tea Rooms in York

It's getting pretty chilly outside which makes me think of warm drinks and wholesome cakes. I begin to miss York and all it's wonderful cafes and tea rooms. Not to mention it's more congenial winter. So here is my list of some of my favorite places. I can assure you that this is nowhere near a complete list. These are just the places that I liked to frequent. If you go there, please let me know what you think. So in no particular order: 

Betty's Cafe and Tea Room  
6-8 St. Helen’s Square     
There is no place fancier than Betty's! The afternoon tea there is rather pricey, but the experience is unforgettable. From the perfectly formed finger sandwiches to the white table cloths to the delicious scones to the piano playing while you are enjoying all this goodness. If an afternoon tea is a little too much for you, you may try their normal menu, which, I can assure you, is anything but ordinary. The tea is served in lovely silver pots and you can enjoy a variety of cakes and savory snacks. I had their pavlova and both the appearance and the taste were divine. But the place is very popular so you may end up queuing before you can enjoy all of that.     


Cakes d'Licious  
61 Clifton
This one is my favorite place in York. A little out of the way, but it's definitely worth a visit. It's a charming 1940s style tea room, with friendly staff, amazing afternoon tea and probably the best cake selection in town. It's really popular with the locals and it does get very busy around lunch time. My personal favorites - scones, naturally, and brie and grapes sandwiches.
   

The Cake Shop & Tea House 
24 Fossgate
This place is no Betty's, but it has undeniable charm. It has a lovely 1930s aesthetic and a quiet relaxed atmosphere. The afternoon tea is served on a wooden stand and the cakes are amazing. They are delicious and have a real homemade feel to them. My only regret is that I only had two opportunities to try all their delights.

Gatehouse Coffee 
Walmgate Bar
If you can only go to one cafe in York, I suggest you go to this one. I would not go as far as to say that it is the best one, but it is most certainly picturesque. It's located on Walmgate bar (Remember, in York all streets are gates, all gates are bars, and all bars are pubs) and it's a perfect place to sit down and relax as you're making your way around the York city wall. The place inside looks like something out of a Harry Potter movie with wooden benches, tiny windows and old arm chairs. My personal recommendation is their aptly named London fog tea and mini cinnamon rolls. It is very popular with students, so beware.       
Cosy Time 
23 Fossgate
This place is so cozy, no lie. They have comfy chairs, lots of books around so you can sit and read something light and frothy as you are enjoying something light and frothy. Again, I can definitely recommend their scones. And their tea sets are so lovely.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...